VisiData is a platform for rapid application development.
The development toolkit includes flexible software setup tools and standard application
functionality that is necessary and sufficient to operate databases.
- Introducing a new ‘document’ concept and applying the metadata concept make it
possible to create an abstract object layer to provide application function. This layer
makes the application independent of any domain and hides the technology
underlying in the data access layer.
- There is a possibility to connect external software modules that implement the
business logic of the application.
- Behaviour of a particular information system depends on the settings of the tool. The
missing functionality caused by specific character of business processes in the
currently automated data domain can be implemented on-site without involvement
from the software developer.
- High reusability of technical and domain-specific solutions provides high quality and
short lead times for out-of-the-box application development.
- Majority of application changes are made to the metadata rather than code that
requires recompiling the application.
Ease of use:
- Single technical platform enables you to integrate applications based on VisiData
promptly and naturally.
- Unified data and application management is also easy to handle.
Access to information objects:
- Information object is defined as the adequate representation of domain-specific data.
Any domain, even the most complicated one, can be described in terms of a set of
- Implementation of business logic is arranged and streamlined. Data domain experts
and developers use siblings and their number decreases drastically.
Implementation of business logic:
- To implement simple business logic, VisiData uses an event mechanism for serverside
procedure call employing SQL tools of the correspondent DBMS.
- To implement more complicated business logic, external software modules should be
linked to VisiData. These modules are activated from the data visualization system
and can be associated with any document.
Dynamic and secure information infrastructure:
- Information object tree is built for each user. It represents a hierarchical structure of
slave objects (sections, categories) and objects performing direct processing of
documents and reports.
- VisiData displays data sets and handles data operations (data entry, modification,
- Information object tree can be configured as both end-user workplace (e.g.
accountant’s workplace) and system administrator’s workplace in accordance with
required functional roles and user access rights to various application entities.
- Report generation is based on templates stored in metadatabase.